Few things are as comforting, on a brisk autumn day, than a bowl of hot lentil soup. This recipe is surprisingly simple with 5 minutes of prep and a cook time of just 30 minutes. Serve for lunch or dinner with a piece of hearty whole grain bread and a salad.
Yield: 12 Servings
Here’s what you need…
- 7 cups water
- 2 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Combine water, lentils, onion, turmeric, and cayenne pepper in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until lentils have disintegrated, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 148 calories, .8g fat, 25g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, and 11g protein.