We are entering the holiday season, a time when sugar-and-fat laden desserts will materialize wherever you go. Wait! Before you forget your fitness goals and reach for another piece of pie, try this simple recipe.
Fruit is nature’s candy – it’s sweet, delicate and delicious. Grilling fruit extracts the natural sugar, making it a warm, tasty treat. Serve seasonal grilled fruit for dessert this holiday season – you’ll lose weight without depriving your taste buds.
Yield: 2 servings
Here’s what you need:
- 1 mango (or apple, pear, melon, pineapple)
- 1 banana (or fig, apricot, papaya, peach, nectarine)
- Dash of cinnamon *optional*
- Grill pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Wooden skewers
- Submerge wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes. Cut fruit into chunks, thread onto skewers.
- Lightly spray a grill pan over medium heat. Place the fruit skewers in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
- Grill for 5 minutes, or until dark grill lines appear. Flip the fruit over and grill the other side.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 120 calories, .5g fat, 31g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 1g protein.