What is an infrared sauna?
An infrared sauna is a steamless sauna. It produces infrared waves and heat using an infrared emitter. The temperature in a typical infrared sauna session is approximately 50-60 degrees Celsius, or sometimes even a little higher.
The best part about an infrared sauna is that the infrared waves penetrates deep into tissue increasing circulation. This helps to detoxify and relax your whole body. Plus, because it’s steamless, your hair and make-up won’t get messed up!
What is infrared heat and is it safe?
Infrared heat is band of energy that operates between 5.6-15 microns. Infrared heat is naturally occurring and is perfectly safe. Think of it this way. You’re sitting outside having a picnic on a sunny day. You feel nice and warm. But when a cloud passes over the sun, the air temperature doesn’t change, but you feel cooler.
The infrared heat from the sun was heating your body. As many of you know sunlight is not just light. It includes high frequency waves, what we know as UV ray and can be damaging to your skin. In the middle of the energy spectrum is visible light, this is what we see. Lower on the spectrum is infrared heat. This is what our saunas emit.
Infrared saunas DO NOT emit UV rays or microwaves. They only emit infrared waves and generate heat. These waves pentrate 2-3 inches into your issue relaxing and regenerating it. In fact, many hospital nursery incubators use infrared heat to warm their babies.
What are the benefits of infrared sauna therapy?
Lots! There are so many great reasons to book an infrared sauna session. Some of these include:
- Relaxation. Everyone likes being warm and cozy. Infrared sauna therapy is a great way to unwind after a busy day.
- Improved Weight Loss. Infrared sauna therapy can be part of a weight loss program. The heat accelerates your body’s metabolism burning more calories. However, FRESH!Fitness would never recommend sauna sessions as the only means of weight loss. Healthy weight loss always includes proper diet and exercise.
- Detoxification. Simply put, an infrared sauna is hot and makes you sweat! Sweating is a great way to rid the body of excess toxins. The infrared heat also mobilizes toxins stored in fat cells, making them easier to get rid of.
- Improved flexibility. Using the infrared sauna after a work out can relax tight
and tired muscles, improving their flexibility and decreasing injury. Hot Yoga uses the same principles, but a different type of heat (much more moisture)
- Injury recovery. Infrared heat relaxes tight muscles, reducing recovery time. Additionally, the increased circulation and metabolic rates bring oxygen and nutrient rich blood to the injured areas.
- Skin conditions. If you’ve lived in Calgary, then you’ve probably had eczema. Infrared sauna therapy, when used as part of a proper skin care regime, can improve skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis. Sweating and increased circulation helps to get rid of toxins. This supports a natural balance of skin oils, replenishing your skin.
For more information about the benefits of infrared sauna therapy please Contact FRESH! Fitness
Tips on how to use an infrared sauna.
- Check with your doctor if you have any health concerns about using the sauna
- Drink plenty of water!! You will be sweating and detoxifying. You will need to flush out your system.
- Pay attention to how your body feels. This is supposed to be relaxing! Infrared sauna therapy can be a powerful detoxifying tool. Headaches and energy loss can be signs of vitamin and nutrient depletion
- Discontinue use immediately if you don’t feel well
- Don’t use if you have a pre-existing medical condition without consulting with your doctor first
- Don’t use if you are pregnant. Increased core temperatures can be damaging to a fetus.
- Don’t use if you are breast-feeding without first consulting a doctor. Detoxification could result in toxins being passed into the breast milk.
- Don’t use if you are Hemophiliac or predisposed to bleeding
- Don’t use within 48 hours of an acute muscle or joint injury
- Don’t use if you are on medications that could be affected by heat
What to bring with you:
- Shorts and T-shirt. It will be hot in there, so we recommend bringing a change of clothes!
- Water! We can’t stress this enough. You will get hot, and you will get thirsty.
- FRESH! has towel service, so you may take a towel in with you to wipe off all that detoxifying sweat!
- A book or an iPod. It’s steamless, so your paperbacks and electronics can be taken inside. Just be sure to avoid sweating on them too much! (notice: not all electronics are happy with higher temperatures. FRESH! assumes no risk for damage to any electronic devices)
Single Session $30.00
10 Pack $195.00 ($19.50 per session)
20 Pack $349.00 ($17.45 per session)
How do I book an appointment?
Call us at 403-217-2730 or email at email@example.com. If you already have an account in our client scheduling system, you may book your appointments online! To set up an account. Click here