The Calgary Stampede Centennial is almost over now but there are still a couple days left! Here are a few last-minute tips on how to minimize drinking and food consumption at Stampede parties.
- Alternate all your drinks with water. Anytime you consume alcohol it’s always wise to stay really hydrated. Not only will this result in fewer alcoholic drinks and thus fewer calories consumed, but it might even save you from a wicked hangover the next day.
- For a really low calorie drink that’s a bit more fun than water, try club soda with a dash of lime or cranberry juice and a lemon/lime wedge. If you add a shot of vodka it’ll still be less than 100 calories, so this could be a great alcoholic choice. Don’t forget the water, though!
- Dance lots! Don’t stop moving! Whether that means walking all over the grounds or line dancing at Nashville North, keep yourself busy. Not only does this ensure some extra calories burnt, it also keeps you away from overindulging.
- Limit yourself to one plate of food. If you’re at a barbecue or Stampede breakfast, this is a must-follow rule. It can be tempting to go back for seconds when you’re surrounded by friends and a fun atmosphere, but keep your fitness goals at the forefront of your mind.
- Chat lots and meet new people. You can’t eat when you’re having an engaging conversation, now can you?! Stampede parties make for great networking and business opportunities. Make it a game with yourself to make new contacts and exchange numbers, get business cards, etc.
And there you have it! Some sure-fire ways to keep yourself in check during Stampede!
P.S. This gorgeous photo is by Rick Holliday, and you can view his website here.