Baked beans are filled with healthy protein and fiber. This homemade recipe is quick and easy to make and tastes great. Serve it hot from the oven, or enjoy it chilled – either way it’s a crowd pleaser.
Here’s what you need…
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tamari (low sodium soy sauce)
- 4 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 3 (15oz) cans pinto or white beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic and onions until tender.
- In a large bowl, mix the tomato paste, tamari, maple syrup and mustard until a thick sauce forms. Add the beans and onions and mix until fully incorporated.
- Spread the beans into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 134 calories, .5g fat, 25g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 8g protein.